GUE/NGL MEPs on TAX3 Special Committee
This website is committed to providing information on the work by GUE/NGL’s MEPs in the TAX3 Special Committee, which was created after the Paradise Papers’ Scandal.
The Paradise Papers leak contained more than 13.4 million documents from the offshore legal firm, Appleby, and the corporate service providers, Estera -a firm related to Appleby- which were then analysed by more than 380 journalists from around the world.
Appleby provides a spectrum of offshore legal services for companies and high net worth individuals. These include maintaining offshore trusts, setting up offshore companies and advising clients on structuring their businesses in tax havens. It has offices in a number of tax havens and secrecy jurisdictions around the world.
It is in a similar line of business to Mossack Fonseca but is much larger. Unlike Mossack Fonseca, however, Appleby is part of the offshore magic circle of law firms.
Some of Appleby’s clients are the Big Fours: Deloitte, KPMG, EY and PricewaterhouseCoopers; Uber, Apple, Nike, Glencore, as well as major banks like Citigroup, Bank of America, HSBC, Credit Suisse and Wells Fargo.
The TAX3 Special Committee is composed of 45 Members of the European Parliament, and has one-year mandate. You can find more information on the Special Committee here.
GUE/NGL (European United Left/Nordic Green Left) is a group of 51 left-wing MEPs from countries across Europe, and has 6 GUE/NGL MEPs sitting on the TAX3 Special Committee:
- Martin Schirdewan (Germany, DIE LINKE.; GUE/NGL Coordinator on TAX3)
- Miguel Urbán Crespo (Spanish State, Podemos; GUE/NGL shadow rapporteur on TAX3)
- Marisa Matias (Portugal, Bloco de Esquerda)
- Matt Carthy (Ireland, Sinn Féin)
- Miguel Viegas (Portugal, Partido Comunista Português)
- Paloma López Bermejo (Spanish State, Izquierda Plural)
In addition, GUE/NGL has organised a Working Group to work on the TAX3 Special Committee which includes:
- Marie-Pierre Vieu (France, Front de Gauche; Coordinator of the GUE/NGL TAX3 Working Group)
- Stelios Kouloglou (Greece, SYRIZA)
- Patrick Le Hyaric (France, Front de Gauche)
- Takis Hadjigeorgiou (Cyprus, AKEL)
This website site aims to outline the work of GUE/NGL MEPs on the TAX3 Special Committee for the duration of the mandate. It will include:
- General information on the inquiry committee including details of hearings, relevant documents, a calendar of events, and more.
- Commentary on the progress of the inquiry by GUE/NGL TAX3 MEPs, including our submissions, analysis, priorities and policy proposals.
We hope this site will be a useful aid for journalists, tax justice activists and members of the public. We encourage you to subscribe to the website using the ‘subscribe’ button to stay in touch with our work.
This website was originally set up by the GUE/NGL MEPs on the European Parliament’s Committee of Inquiry into the Panama Papers, so you will find a lot of information on the work of GUE/NGL’s MEPs on the ‘Panama Papers’ Committee.
You can also find information on the previous LuxLeaks committee here.