GUE/NGL MEPs on TAX3 Special Committee
This website is now committed to providing informing about the work of GUE/NGL’s MEPs in the TAX3 Special Committee, created after the Paradise Papers’ Scandal.
The Paradise Papers consist of a leak of information of more than 13.4 million documents from Appleby and Estera (a firm related to Appleby) which were analysed by more than 380 journalists from around the world.
Appleby is an offshore law firm. It provides a very wide range of offshore legal services for companies and high net worth individuals. This kind of work includes maintaining offshore trusts, setting up offshore companies and advising clients on structuring their businesses in tax havens. It has offices in a number of tax havens and secrecy jurisdictions around the world.
It is in a similar line of business to Mossack Fonseca, but is a much larger firm than Mossack Fonseca. Unlike Mossack Fonseca, Appleby is part of the offshore magic circle of law firms.
Some of Appleby’s clients are the Big 4s KPMG, EY and PricewaterhouseCoopers, Uber, Apple, Nike, Glencore, but also the main banks Citigroup, Bank of America, HSBC, Credit Suisse and Wells Fargo.
The TAX3 Special Committee is composed of 45 Members of the European Parliament, and has a mandate of 1 year. You can find more information on the Special Committee here.
GUE/NGL (European United Left/Nordic Green Left) is a group of 51 left-wing MEPs from countries across Europe, and has 6 GUE/NGL MEP sitting on the TAX3 Special Committee:
- Martin Schirdewan (Germany, Die Linke MEP. GUE/NGL Coordinator on TAX3)
- Miguel Urban (Spain, Podemos. GUE/NGL shadow rapporteur on TAX3)
- Marisa Matias (Portugal, Bloco de Esquerda)
- Matt Carthy (Ireland, Sinn Féin)
- Miguel Viegas (Portugal, Portuguese Communist Party)
- Paloma López Bermejo (Spain, Izquierda Plural)
GUE/NGL has organized a working group to work on the TAX3 Special Committee which is composed, in addition to the 6 members listed above, by:
- Marie-Pierre Vieu (France, Front de Gauche. Coordinator of the GUE/NGL TAX3 Working Group)
- Stelios Kouloglou (Greece, Syriza)
- Patrick Le Hyaric (France, Communist Party of France)
- Takis Hadjigeorgiou (Cyprus, Akel)
This website site aims to outline the work of GUE/NGL MEPs on the TAX3 Special Committee for the duration of the mandate. It will include:
- General information on the inquiry committee including details of hearings, relevant documents, a calendar of events, and more.
- Commentary on the progress of the inquiry by GUE/NGL TAX3 MEPs, including our submissions, analysis, priorities and policy proposals.
We hope this site will be a useful aid for journalists, tax justice activists and interested members of the public. We encourage you to subscribe to the website using the subscribe button to stay in touch with the progress of the inquiry.
This website was originally set up by the GUE/NGL MEPs on the European Parliament’s Committee of Inquiry into the Panama Papers, so you will find a lot of information on the work of GUE/NGL’s MEPs on the PANA Committee.
You can also find information on the previous LuxLeaks committee here.