10 Apr GUE/NGL Award for journalists, whistleblowers, and defenders of the right to information
The winner(s) of GUE/NGL award for Journalists, Whistleblowers and Defenders of the Right to Information, in Honour of Daphne Caruana Galizia, will be announced at the European Parliament in Strasbourg on Tuesday 16th April 2019, at 18hs (Room LOW S2.1). He/she will also receive 5000 euros for their work.
The shortlist for the second annual GUE/NGL Award for ‘Journalists, Whistleblowers and Defenders of the Right to Information’ has already been unveiled.
Dedicated to individuals or groups who have been intimidated and/or persecuted for uncovering the truth and exposing it to the public, this year’s award is once again named in honour of the late Maltese journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia.
The nominees are:
– Julian Assange, founder of WikiLeaks
– Katya Mateva, whistleblower on Bulgarian Ministry of Justice’s Golden Visa scam
– Yasmine Motarjemi, former Vice President and whistleblower on Nestlé’s food safety lapses
– Rui Pinto, Football Leaks whistleblower facing extradition from Hungary to Portugal
– Luis Gonzalo Segura, author and whistleblower on corruption and wrongdoing in the Spanish army
– Howard Wilkinson, Danske Bank whistleblower
You can find out more about the award and the jury here.